“So this is Christmas, and what have you done? Another year over, and a new one just begun…” — John Lennon
Two of Canada’s most experienced and innovative production companies have recently merged talents and services to create a full media production studio. Buffalo Gal Pictures and Entremedia Digital Films have partnered to form Buffalo Media Group (BMG), a new company with offices in Toronto and Winnipeg. www.buffalogalpictures.com
Manitoba Music and the Canada Council for the Arts presents theNative America North showcase in New York City on January 12, 2013.The free public event takes place at the National Museum of the American Indian, and features entertainment by three of Canada’s best Aboriginal artists today – Don Amero (Winnipeg), Digging Roots (Toronto) and Elisapie (Montreal). www.manitobamusic.com
Join thousands of Winnipeggers at the first big party of 2013, and beat the winter blues. It’s your chance to experience the tastes, sights and sounds of Louisiana without leaving town. Winnipeg Mardi Gras happens February 15 & 16 at the Winnipeg Convention Centre, featuring C.J. Chenier and The Red Hot Louisiana Band. Tickets are now on-sale at Ticketmaster. www.winnipegmardigras.com
Mad Ship just completed a successful first run at the Globe Theatre in Winnipeg, after its world premiere at the Whistler Film Festival. This beautiful film tells the story of a Norwegian immigrant driven to madness by ruined dreams and the tragic death of his wife. More theatrical runs coming in 2013. www.madshipmovie.com
The song Happy Christmas by John Lennon always causes me to reflect upon what I’ve done this year. So here are some of my own personal highlights from 2012:
- Meeting the one and only Richard Branson in person – cross that one off the bucket list! Oh yes, I also wrote a story about it for the Winnipeg Free Press. Close encounter of the Branson kind
- Launching my very own travel column in Winnipeg’s Canstar newspapers. It’s called Travelations, and it publishes every second Wednesday. Here is the latest. What to get the worldly traveler
- Watching four Winnipeg athletes compete at the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic games in London. Truly inspiring to know they got their start on our Red River!
- Visiting the awesome state of Arizona and getting to tour around Phoenix and Mesa. I even hugged a cactus – and have a picture to prove it!
- Traveling to Quebec City for some French immersion studies, and just spending time in such an interesting and historic place. Quelle belle ville! Wrote a little bit about it, too. Steps, stones and stories
- Experiencing Roger Waters do Pink Floyd’s The Wall live at MTS Centre. Wow. And that’s all I have to say about that.
- Nearly winning the Manitoba Music Rocks charity bonspiel with my RAS Creative team. We came in 2nd (DOH!) out of 36 teams. Next time, we’re shooting for 1st place. Hurry hard…
Working with so many amazing and creative and talented clients – there are just too many to name here! But you know who you are… Thank you for your business, and for choosing to work with RAS Creative. It’s been a pleasure and an honour to be on your team(s).
Christmas shopping is something you can do year-round… OR… it’s something you can do all in one day. Like on December 24. Did you know most people are finished shopping by December 24? This means the stores are practically empty. How do I know?? Because I’ve done my Christmas shopping on December 24 for as long as I’ve been doing Christmas shopping. And I swear it’s the best shopping day of the year. So maybe I’ll see you (fellow procrastinators) out there!?